Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Before & After" Challenge

This week at I {heart} Faces, the challenge is to take a look back at how far your own photography has come!



It wasn't too hard for me to find some "not so wonderful" BEFORE shots...
These were both taken of my son, with my Sony Cybershot point-and-shoot. It's a good little camera, but I didn't really know anything about composition and settings at that point, so I just used it for it's "point and shoot" ease!

February 2008: Photos were usually blurry, a camera shake error by the operator. I always used a direct, harsh flash. Something I've since learned not to do, in order to get a natural picture. Last but not least, the only photo editing trick I knew at the time, since all I had was the photo editing software that came with my camera...I made it either black and white or sepia! Wowee!!


August 2008: First...I can't believe this sweet little toothless face was captured a year ago! Again with the harsh flash!! Totally washes out his face and makes a horrible shadow behind his head. Eyes are out of focus, and guess what...it's black and white! Ooooo, Ahhhh!


My AFTER shots were taken this month, August 2009. I have had my Canon Rebel Xsi since March 2009, and I primarily use the EF 50mm 1.8 lens. I love it, but would love to add a few more to my collection in the near future! I've had a slow August for client sessions, so these are from just last week.

Eyes in focus, and love the Bokeh background! Pure, rich colors at a perspective that's not just straight-on.


Another fun perspective, with focus on the eyes. I used the Pioneer Woman's action set II: Seventies on this image, along with some sharpening and contrast adjustments.

Had to throw this one in there, because it is in the "black and white or sepia" category I used in my before shoots. The difference is I've adjusted the curves in this one, to give some contrast and make the subjects pop.

I'm adding this last one (taken in March 2009) Just to show example of an in indoor shot. If you're photographing inside (with a point-and-shoot or SLR), find a spot with great natural light, and turn that flash OFF! This shot of Barrett was taken in my entry way, right in front of the door, so I had lots of natural light right on him. I happen to LOVE it, because his eyes are the first thing I see!


These comments are all just my own personal opinion on my images and progress :) I like to think I've improved over the last year...but I still have a long way to go! Head on over and enter your own before and afters!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE your progression - those after shots are beautiful!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My son's name is Barrett too! I love the composition and catchlights in the last one. You've come a long way, but your first ones aren't bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I think you rock! AND I'm glad to see the improvements from the 'point and shoot' days. I'm saving up for a nice camera and I'll have to refer back to you for some tips!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading comments, so thanks for stopping by :)

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop